Wednesday, April 17, 2024
A- A A+

M.Sc. Mathematics

The total number of seats for each of the M.Sc. Programs is 20 for students from Kerala State, 4 additional for All India Quota(outside Kerala State) and 4 additional for International Quota, 1 additional for Arts/Sports Quota.

Eligibility for admission:

  1. M.Sc. Mathematics : B.Sc. Degree in Mathematics / Applied Mathematics with at least 50% marks ( CGPA 5.0 out of 10.00 under grading system) for Part III.
  2. M.Sc. Statistics : B.Sc. Degree in Mathematics or Statistics main / B.Sc. (triple main) with Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science as main subjects or B.Sc./B.Voc. Data Science/ Data Analytics or B.E. / B. Tech.(Computer Science) with at least 50% marks (CGPA 5.0 out of 10.00 under grading system) for Part III, provided the candidate has studied at least 4 courses in Probability / Statistics at degree level.

Admission Criteria:

Admission will be solely on the basis of a rank list prepared as per the score obtained in the Common Admission Test CAT (80%) and  interview (20%).

Compulsory test under CAT:

Test Syllabus: Undergraduate level Mathematics (40%), Probability & Statistics (40%), Computing & General Mental Ability (20%).

One full semester Project Work and Internship are part of each program and will be carried out in reputed industries / national level institutes / universities etc. for providing wide exposure in interdisciplinary as well as applied research and on the job training.  In the present era of increasing thrust on interdisciplinary applications in Mathematical Modeling and Statistical, there is wide scope and employment  potential for postgraduate and research level interdisciplinary programs in these disciplines.

Links:

 

CURRICULUM & SYLLABUS 

Mathematics has a pivotal role in learning and research in higher levels with interdisciplinary dimension that cut across various disciplines of science as well as social sciences. This program is interdisciplinary since courses like Mathematical Modeling, Operations Research, Queuing Theory, Linear and non-linear Programming, Optimization Theory and Boundary Value Problems, Special Functions and Stochastic Differential Equations, Fuzzy Mathematics, Mathematical Physics, Mathematical Chemistry, Coding Theory, Cryptography, Epidemic Growth Models, Computational Mathematics, Wavelet Analysis, Dynamical Systems, Game Theory, Deterministic Control Theory, Derivatives and Option Prizing, Actuarial Computing, Insurance Mathematics etc are part of the curriculum for M.Sc. Mathematics. DST is encouraging research in Cognitive Sciences using Mathematics. Financial Mathematics and Actuarial Sciences have significant roles in Risk Modeling and Analysis. These are thrust areas for research funding identified by DST.

This will help professionalism, employment and entrepreneurship among students. They will become more proficient in problem solving and analysis, creativity, numerical ability and understanding. Research and Learning skills will be developed. The analytical skills and intellectual depth will be enhanced naturally. This programme will lead to an analytical mind and abstract thinking as well as modeling of natural phenomena. Mathematical Modeling and abstractness are essential to understand the dynamics of various phenomenon occurring nature.

The Program Structure: Table of Courses and Credits 

Revised MSc Mathematics Syllabus 2021

Revised MSc Statistics Syllabus 2021

Course Code Course Title Teaching   L+T+P Credits
SEMESTER I                                               Total Credits     24
SMS MP C01 LINEAR ALGEBRA 4 +1+0 4
SMS MP C02 ALGEBRA- I 4 +1+0 4
SMS MP C03 TOPOLOGY 4 +1+0 4
SMS MP C04 REAL ANALYSIS – I 4 +1+0 4
SMS MP C05 DISCRETE MATHEMATICS 4+ 1+0 4
SMS MP C06 ORDINARY DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS 4 +1+0 4
SEMESTER II                                             Total Credits     24
SMS MP C07 ALGEBRA -II 4 +1+0 4
SMS MP C08 REAL ANALYSIS- II 4 +1+0 4
SMS MP C09 COMPLEX ANALYSIS 4 +1+0 4
SMS MP C10 FUNCTIONAL ANALYSIS 4 +1+0 4
SMS MP E01 ELECTIVE 1 4 +1+0 4
SMS MP E02 ELECTIVE 2 4 +1+0 4
SEMESTER III                                           Total  Credits    24
SMS MP C11 MULTIVARIABLE CALCULUS & GEOMETRY 4 +1+0 4
SMS MP C12 ANALYTIC NUMBER THEORY 4 +1+0 4
SMS MP C13 PROBABILITY THEORY 4 +1+0 4
SMS MP E03 ELECTIVE 3 4 +1+0 4
SMS MP E04 ELECTIVE 4 4 +1+0 4
OPEN COURSE 4
SEMESTER IV                                            Total Credits     16
SMS MP E05 ELECTIVE 5 4 +1+0 4
SMS MP C14 PROJECT  /  DISSERTATION 8+4 +4 8
SMS MP C15 PROJECT / DISSERTATION PRESENTATION & VIVA VOCE 4+0+0

 

4
  Grand Total of Credits 88

Thus in the present Program Structure there are 15 Core Courses with a total of 64 credits, 5 Elective courses with  a total of 20 credits and an Open Course of 4 credits so that the grand total of credits is 88 for the whole program.

N.B.  LITERATURE SURVEY, REVIEW OF LITERATURE ETC.  ON PROJECT WORK/ DISSERTATION SHOULD START IN THE THIRD SEMESTER  & A BRIEF REPORT TO BE SUBMITTED TO THE SUPERVISING FACULTY/ HEAD OF THE DEPT.

N.B. 1 Open Course is any course offered by another Department / School / Inter university Centre  of the University other than the parent Department / School/ Centre, permitted by both Departments / Schools to encourage interdisciplinary studies and research in emerging areas.

N.B. 2   In case students wish to undergo online MOOC Courses in SWAYAM PORTAL or offered by IITs, NPTEL, COURSERA and other reputed institutes of national importance, they can choose them as electives during Semester 3 and 4 with the permission of the Head of the Department / Director of the School in accordance with the CSS regulations of the university.

N.B. 3    Project / Dissertation shall be carried out in a reputed research institute/ department or industry under the joint supervision of an internal faculty and external guide / expert approved by the  Director / Head of the Dept.. The students have to submit a bound copy and soft copy of the Project Report (documented in LaTex) of at least 50 pages certified by the supervisors, at least 7 days before the conduct of the Presentation and Viva Voce.  The Project/ Dissertation will be valued with respect to various criteria including content and presentation as decided by the University as per CSS  Rules & Regulations.

Table of Elective Courses:

Students can select any 5 elective courses from the list of electives given below. If required more electives may be added and offered with the permission of the competent authorities.

Course Code NAME OF THE COURSE Teaching Credits
E1 PARTIAL DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS 4 4
E2 DIFFERENTIAL GEOMETRY 4 4
E3 ALGEBRAIC TOPOLOGY 4 4
E4 ADVANCED FUNCTIONAL ANALYSIS 4 4
E5 ADVANCED COMPLEX ANALYSIS 4 4
E6 CODING THEORY 4 4
E7 ALGEBRAIC NUMBER THEORY 4 4
E8 WAVELETS 4 4
E9 GRAPHS & MATRICES 4 4
E10 REPRESENTATION THEORY 4 4
E11 LINEAR PROGRAMMING 4 4
E12 CRYPTOGRAPHY 4 4
E13 OPERATIONS RESEARCH 4 4
E14 DATA SCIENCE & DATA ANALYTICS 4 4
E15 STOCHASTIC PROCESSES 4 4
E16 MATHEMATICS FOR GENETICS AND  ECOLOGY 4 4
E17 ACTUARIAL MATHEMATICS 4 4
E18 NUMERICAL ANALYSIS WITH PYTHON 3 4 4